After living in Zürich for over a year now, I have been to sooo many cafés and restaurants and tried just about every cappuccino in the city. Although I love any coffee and will take whatever I can get, I do have my favourite locations for enjoying a good cup of joe and a good view! A few months ago, before the coronavirus situation, I started a new segment on my Instagram called “Zoë in Zürich coffee”. I started sharing my favourite locations for enjoying a cup of coffee.
This post has been a year in the making – I have been taking notes on all of my fave coffee locations in Zürich and now I will share them with you! These locations are all in the “touristy” parts of the city but it is my favourite area especially to enjoy the typical views of Zürich.
So here it is! My top 5 coffee spots with a view in Zürich:
1. Zunfthaus zur Zimmerleuten. This restaurant is a historic 14th century building on the Limmatquai (Limmatquai 40, 8001 Zürich). The terrace is open year round and provides one of the best views for sipping a warm drink while watching the trams pass by. The Fraumünster is in full view from just across the Münsterbrücke and it allows for a magical atmosphere when the church bells ring.
2. Metropol. This restaurant is a really popular place for it’s Japanese fusion menu, but it’s also a great stop to enjoy a cup of coffee on their outdoor terrace. The restaurant is located in the heart of Zürich on Fraumünsterstrasse (Fraumünsterstrasse 12, 8001 Zürich). From this location, you can enjoy watching many fancy cars drive by and some great people watching too.
3. Storchen. This hotel has many different options for food and drinks. However, I personally enjoy sitting outside either on their terrace or alongside the Limmat at the Storchen landing station (Weinpl. 2, 8001 Zürich). From this location, you have an amazing view of the Grossmünster. It’s a great place to watch swans and boats float by on the Limmat!
4. • • • Rooftop Restaurant. This rooftop bar does not actually have an official name! But it is known as the “rooftop restaurant at Modissa” on Bahnhofstrasse in Zürich (Bahnhofstrasse 74, 8001 Zürich). This place is located on the top floor of the Modissa store. With amazing rooftop views above the busy Bahnhofstrasse, it’s one of my favourite places to enjoy a coffee. This restaurant is very popular, especially on weekends. I like to go earlier in the mornings to enjoy a quiet coffee on the terrace.
5. Münsterhöfli. This place is the oldest restaurant in the city of Zürich. It’s located in the Münsterhof and has been since the Middle Ages. The terrace is located right in the old town square of Zürich (Münsterhof 6, 8001 Zürich). I have only visited the terrace, so I don’t know so much about the indoor seating situation. You can check it out on their website here. From the outside seating area, you can enjoy a beautiful close up view of the famous Fraumünster. The atmosphere of this restaurant is something like no other! You have to experience it for yourself.
So, that concludes my list of top 5 places to enjoy coffee with a view in Zürich! If you visit any of these locations, take photos and tag me on Instagram! ❤️ I would love to see you enjoying these places as much as I do. I know I am in no way an expert on this topic, but these are just my personal recommendations from my own opinion.
I would love to know your favourite spots to enjoy a hot cup of coffee too! Let me know in the comments 😊
Thanks for following along on my Swiss journey!